SU cautions students vacationing in Mexico
Syracuse University and other colleges across the United States are warning students planning to travel to Mexico for Spring Break of a swell in drug-related violence and kidnappings.
SU issued a news alert Thursday to students, faculty and staff with an excerpt of the U.S. State Department’s travel alert pertaining to Mexico and safe travel tips for students.
‘While millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year … violence in the country has increased recently. It is imperative that travelers understand the risks of travel to Mexico, how best to avoid dangerous situations, and whom to contact if one becomes a crime victim,’ the alert read.
Kevin Morrow, university spokesman, said with Spring Break approaching, the university felt it was important to inform the campus community of the State Department’s message, especially for those individuals making travel plans now.
‘This isn’t a message saying stay away from Mexico,’ Morrow said. ‘We’re saying if you do plan to visit Mexico, these are some troubling situations going on in that country right now and here are some tips to take into consideration.’
More than 100,000 U.S. teenagers and young adults travel to resort areas throughout Mexico over Spring Break each year, according to the State Department’s Web site.
Acapulco and Cancun, popular Spring Break destinations, have seen increased drug-related violence recently, according to the department. Though, violence has not been targeted at foreign residents or tourists.
Increased fighting among drug cartels has led to massacres and dumping of beheaded bodies in the streets, according to the travel alert. More than 6,000 people were killed in drug violence in Mexico last year, it said. Despite this bloodletting, 23 million tourists visited Mexico in 2008, an increase of 5.9 percent from last year, according to Mexico’s Tourism Department.
The greatest increase in violence has occurred near the U.S. border, according to the State Department’s travel alert. Bystanders have been injured and killed in violent attacks across the country, the alert added, warning of a more likely risk of violence in public places.
Brian Connolly, a junior finance and accounting major, will be spending Spring Break in Cancun at a resort with three other friends. He said he took into consideration SU’s alert, but that he still plans on going because he has already paid for the trip.
‘I’ll be at the resort where I plan on staying,’ Connolly said. ‘I plan to stay with a group of friends there and not go off the resort to avoid the violence. No one’s going to be by themselves.’
Connolly said he knew Mexico was not safe in terms of drug trafficking, but he didn’t realize until just recently the number of kidnappings and drug deals occurring. He said as long as he stays on the resort, he and his friends aren’t worried.
‘I don’t consider the risk large enough to not go,’ he said.
